What does it take to land a submarine competition in the United States Navy?

What was it like having a seafarer under a submarine competition?

The first thing I found out about being in a fleet is that if your duty station is a ship and it is transported to the ocean, it can sometimes take you a long time to catch up with it. That was the deal with that ship, and I was also a destroyer. It took me about a month to get to the fighter I was on. It didn't take me long to catch the ship. The ship was in Subic Bay in the Philippines. And I was going to meet the hole when I finally got there.

Upon arriving in Manila, I and a few other boys boarded the boat for the first night in Manila. It was the first night I had spent in another country, ever, in my life. Some of us left Manila the same day, and we had to take a taxi about two hours south to meet the ship.

In Manila we had a beautiful living room, looking down the streets where every kind of vendor and taxi was like a jeep everywhere, eyebrows stopping. We didn't know what to do, so we stayed in the hotel lounge. That first evening we all drank right there in the bathroom and just stayed there. We had been traveling for some time, and we were told we wouldn't go out and party, but we did a little party, but just in the hotel lounge.

The next morning a small white van with air conditioning came and gathered us all. It took us to the town where the ship was waiting. Along the way you can see many different types of taxis, and the tons of fields we all guessed were rice fields.

Taxi drivers seemed to drive more crazy than in the United States. They passed things on, barely making it slow for anyone to get out on the street, they had tons of jewelry adorned with hats, and they were all decorating their taxis. They would shake their horns all the time, and sometimes if you follow the observer, he just covers the horn that covers the horn. There were 3 wheeled motorcycle taxis, which they called trails all over the place. They were the cheapest way to turn around.

I consider myself a good motorcycle rider because I grew up on dirt bikes and motorcycles all the time. One day I asked one of the drivers if I could drive his 3-wheeled taxi motorcycle. He said that I was going to have a hard time because I had never done that before. I told him that I've been riding motorcycles all my life, I can ride his stuff. He bet me 50 pesos, which is about $ 1 that I would not be able to drive from one place to another. Little boy, I drove it a little, and I couldn't get it to turn on me, so he was right, you have to get used to riding those horses, understand that.

I was the "fresh meat" guy on the ship again. After all, this will be a real fleet. The ship, which has more than 1300 people. Our office was just above the ship. All administrative offices, law, public affairs, leisure, CO, XO and Command Master headquarters were integrated together. Offices are interconnected so we can all use the same spaces. You had to assume the standard responsibilities that someone had to do on the ship. Firefighting exercises, drills, drones, abandon ship, nuclear discharge and other types of exercises.

Everyone is doing special training, and you are learning more about the ship. One of my first responsibilities, besides being myself, was having to watch or serve on the flight crew or rescue crew or something. Even you work at any office, anytime, and even in the morning 3. At 00, they may decide to try the experience or the real thing.

One of my naval personnel and working in the administration department was during special maritime procedures. We can get supplies from another boat, that is, by sailing, the water dropped, say, for example, 20 knots, and we are traveling, the water is thrown at the same speed. We can transport, fuels, supplies, food, mail, people, you name it.

They can use a helicopter to move from one ship to another, and throughout this time the captain is standing on a bridge, standing on his wings, guiding the ship as to what speed it should be, what course. He should be, and throughout this time he always has a young naval officer by his side, as he always trains officers at any time.

The captain I was supposed to see was training 50 different officers over and over again. Here we are traveling at high speed, two ships not more than 100 feet apart. There will be a young constructor, or a junior lieutenant, standing on the wings of the bridge, trying to give speed, and of course, the quartet and the helsinki. Also, at the same time, he has a captain right behind him, putting a little pressure on him, telling him what to do, asking a lot of test questions, always testing them, and training them.

My job was to keep track of how fast and how fast we were running. The young officers would be confused and could not remember what course or speed we were on. Usually you just have to fine tune your course and speed, every so often back and forth, a little, but always back and forth, and the boats will be fine.

It looks very impressive, breathtaking, and powerful for going out to sea, thousands of boys, bright sun, glittering crystal clear waters, and your sailing across the ocean at a pretty fast speed, and you can see cargo and other stuff. has been moved from ship to ship, and you're just thinking, what a shocking look this is!

One day the captain got up on the bridge and he was a pretty handsome guy. Petty Officer Stead, even though I was still the only navigator at the time, he always liked to call people with a greater calling. . He said. "You need to hear from me to finish these things, and again a thousand times, I'm now betting that you can handle this ship better than these officers."

I always knew that when it was time to change course, I could do what these officers were trying to learn, just because I was always there with the captain when he was always training someone. The captain never did anything on his own, it was always a maneuver, or a maneuver or a supply mission, he always trained the junior officers on everything.

One of my jobs was to be a CO phone speaker during an emergency and exercise. During the battle scenarios and what we had to do, each department would have one person speaking on the phone, such as the repair department, the medical department, the damage department, and all the others.

The captain urged me to give orders, and I would give other instructions to the other departments; it was good that I commanded the order, and it was a good pleasure, because everyone was so serious about it, and wherever the captain was, there was always a good point.

On this ship the captain had his own kitchen and cook. The chef was part of our division as the supply and executive division shared the same fragmented area. So we always shared our leftovers with the chefs and the delivery guys.

The chef, CO, was chosen as the sailor of the year for the ship, and he was a good guy. His dream was to work in the White House, and he applied, but was turned down for the job. The captain had a regular sized stove in his home, a refrigerator and all the things he would have in the kitchen. The chef would ask the CO what he wants to eat for each meal and then prepare it for himself. The skier can answer: I want a light salad, a steak and whatever I want.

Everyone who is new to the ship and just starting out in the Navy should be on a 90-day shift somewhere to cook. Or as a cook, assistant, cleaner or something. My job ended because there were about 3 frozen food stalls. There should have been at least 12 cabinets on board for milk, food, bread, hamburgers, you name it.

We had an elevator at each entrance, and at the top of the ship we had our own crane. Before we got out to sea we would come with some tractor trailers, and we would load the boat with fresh food and plenty of it. On board, you usually get 4 meals a day, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and again at midnight, called mid-rats, for people who are still hungry, or observing people or leaving the clock. When you have 1,300 people, it requires a lot of food.

It was fun to work in the food storage area for 90 days, the guy in charge of us was pretty cool. We are always allowed to have a weekend as soon as you finish your work. That meant all of our work, so if someone did, we would help the next guy do his job until all was done, and many days, we would finish by noon, and we would leave the rest of the day. It's really not a bad thing.